Who else can help

Some of the concerns that are raised with us are about issues outside the scope of our responsibilities. Some of these issues are set out here, with information on who else may be able to help you.

Complaint Line is a gateway website for organisations that provide the New Zealand public with complaint resolution processes. Visit Complaint Line to find out who may be able to assist you.

You can also seek help and advice from these organisations:

Advertising standards

For enquiries about advertising standards please contact the Advertising Standards Authority via www.asa.co.nz or phone 0800 234 357.

Business opening hours on public holidays

For information about business opening hours on public holidays please contact the Employment Relations Information Line on 0800 20 9020 or visit the Employment New Zealand website.

Companies information

For information on whether a company is registered, or to register a company, contact the New Zealand Companies Office on 0508 26 6726 or visit www.companies.govt.nz

The Commission cannot advise on whether a company is legitimate.

Consumer Guarantees Act

For information on the Consumer Guarantees Act, refer to the Consumer Protection website.

Electricity and gas service complaints

For an independent dispute resolution service for complaints you may have about your electricity and gas lines or your electricity and gas retail company in New Zealand, contact Utilities Disputes Ltd on 0800 22 3340 or visit www.utilitiesdisputes.co.nz

Employment disputes

For employment disputes, contact the Employment Relations Information Line on 0800 20 9020 or visit the New Zealand at Work website.

Endorsement of advertisements or business practices

The Commission does not endorse or advise traders on how to ensure their advertising or practices comply with the Fair Trading Act. Refer to the Fair Trading section or seek legal advice.  

Faulty or unsuitable goods or services

For advice about faulty or unsuitable goods or services, contact the Citizens Advice Bureau on 0800 36 7222 or www.cab.org.nz, or visit the Consumer Protection website.

Financial services complaints

From 1 April 2014 the Financial Markets Authority (FMA) replaced the Commerce Commission as the primary regulator of conduct in relation to financial products and services (excluding credit contracts).

If you have a complaint regarding a financial product or service please contact the FMA on 0800 434 567 or www.fma.govt.nz

Otherwise, if you have an issue with a financial services provider, you may be able to take your complaint to one of the dispute resolution schemes – the Banking Ombudsman, the Insurance and Savings Ombudsman, Financial Services Complaints Limited and Financial Dispute Resolution. All financial service providers must belong to a dispute resolution scheme.

To find out what scheme your financial services provider belongs to visit the Consumer Protection website.

Food standards

For enquiries about food standards contact Food Standards Australia New Zealand on 0800 69 3721 or visit www.foodstandards.govt.nz.

Health products

For enquiries about health products contact Medsafe on 04 819 6800 or visit www.medsafe.govt.nz.

Importing and exporting regulations

For all enquiries about importing and exporting regulations contact New Zealand Customs on 0800 42 8786 or visit www.customs.govt.nz

Information on petrol prices

For information on petrol prices, refer to the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) website.

Information on registered motor vehicle traders

For information about whether a motor vehicle trader is registered, and information about the trader's business, including its physical address, refer to the Motor Vehicle Traders Register.

Retail prices

We don't regulate retail prices. As long as businesses are not involved in anti-competitive or misleading activities, the Commission doesn’t decide whether retail prices are fair.


For information about specific types of financial scams from overseas sources, refer to Consumer Protection's scamwatch, the anti-spam unit of the Department of Internal Affairs at www.antispam.govt.nz or the FMA's scam section on their website.

Telecommunication Dispute Resolution (TDR) service

TDR is a free and independent service that helps resolve disputes between consumers and telecommunication companies. Contact TDR on 0508 98 9898 or at www.tdr.org.nz.