The Consumer Information Notice (CIN) provides you with information about the vehicle and the seller so that you can make a better informed purchasing decision.

What types of vehicles do the rules apply to?

Only used motor vehicles are covered by the consumer information standard. An used motor vehicle is a motor vehicle that has, at any time before being offered or displayed for sale, been registered or used for a purpose not connected with its manufacture or sale. A motor vehicle that has been used as a demonstration model is also considered an used motor vehicle.

The definition of motor vehicle is set out in the Motor Vehicle Sales Act. Generally, the definition covers any road vehicle of the kind ordinarily acquired by consumers for personal, domestic or household use.

What are the rules?

The CIN must be:

  • attached to the vehicle in a prominent place
  • easily readable from outside of the vehicle
  • on A4 white paper or card
  • completed clearly and legibly with the correct information.

If the vehicle is being sold online, the CIN (or a link to the CIN) must be on the same webpage as the vehicle is listed for sale, and on the same webpage as the contract that may be entered into for the sale of the vehicle.

The CIN should include:

  • the motor vehicle trader's name and address
  • the motor vehicle traders's registration number
  • the auctioneer's name, if being sold at auction
  • price, including GST, and any other registration and licensing costs (or "For sale by auction", if applicable)
  • notification if there is a security interest registered against the vehicle
  • vehicle make and model
  • vehicle year
  • engine capacity
  • actual distance travelled, or a note that the odometer reading is, or may be, inaccurate
  • vehicle identification or chassis number
  • whether the vehicle has a current warrant or certificate of fitness and the expiry date
  • whether the vehicle has a current licence and the expiry date
  • registration plate number
  • the year the vehicle was first registered in New Zealand
  • fuel type
  • whether the vehicle is subject to road user charges.

For imported motor vehicles, the CIN should also include:

  • the year the vehicle was first registered overseas
  • the country where the vehicle was last registered before being imported
  • whether the vehicle was recorded as damaged at the time of being imported.

If you agree to buy the vehicle, the motor vehicle trader must give you a copy of the CIN for the vehicle immediately before the sale and give a written acknowledgement that you have received a copy.

Who do the rules apply to?

Motor vehicle traders selling used motor vehicles, including traders selling used motor vehicles through a car market operator or online.

A motor vehicle trader is any person in the business of motor vehicle trading (whether or not they also have another business). This includes importers, wholesalers, car auctioneers and car consultants.

The rules do not apply to the sales of used motor vehicles from one motor vehicle trader to another, or from a motor vehicle trader to a licensed car wrecker.

Private sellers of used motor vehicles are not required to comply.

Read more about used motor vehicles PDF (630 KB)

Make a complaint

If you think a used motor vehicle does not have a correct CIN attached while it is offered for sale, you can make a complaint to us.