Read this page in:

Our role

When you buy goods or services in New Zealand you are protected by competition and consumer laws. The Commission enforces some of these laws including ones that give you rights when you borrow money or buy goods on credit.

We also enforce business competition laws and have regulatory responsibilities including for electricity lines, gas pipelines, telecommunications, dairy and airport sectors which aim to benefit consumers.

The consumer laws we enforce include:

  • Fair Trading Act which prohibits false and misleading behaviour by businesses
  • Credit Contracts and Consumer Finance Act which protects consumers when they borrow money or buy goods on credit
  • Commerce Act which prohibits anti-competitive mergers and behaviour.

If you have a concern about the conduct of a business or individual, you can make a complaint to us. We get thousands of complaints every year, so we investigate some complaints but not others. Our focus is to make sure New Zealand markets work well and consumers and businesses are confident when buying or selling goods and services. This means that we tend to be most interested in the issues that could cause widespread harm to New Zealanders. We do value all complaint information and keep this information in our complaints database. We use this database to identify business practices of possible concern and may refer to this to help us decide whether to investigate similar behaviour in the future. This database also helps us to decide how we can best assist businesses to understand and comply with the law.

Read about how we select our investigations.

Read more about our role.

Make a complaint

If you think a business or person is not complying with one of the laws we enforce, you can make a complaint to us.

Make a complaint now

Alternatively you can call us on 0800 943 600 or email

COVID-19 related complaints

Disrupted travel, events and trade – the COVID-19 virus has had a significant impact on both consumers and businesses, with disruptions to travel, trading and events. The virus has many wondering what their rights and obligations are in these situations. We have produced a fact sheet that outlines some of the legal principles that apply to these situations.

Read more

There are a number of Government agencies and departments taking consumer and business complaints relating to COVID-19. To ensure that your complaint or issue is directed to the right place please check the list below:

Price increases – for any complaints relating to increased prices during COVID-19 please contact the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment using their online form.

If a trader has given you a reason for a price increase that you think is false or misleading then please fill out our complaint form.

Physical distancing requirements – if you are concerned a trader is not providing for the physical distancing requirements of alert level 2 for their customers or staff, then please contact Police 105 using their online form.

Food safety issues – if you are concerned about food safety issues at a restaurant, café or takeaway shop open during alert level 2 then please contact your local Council. You can find a list of contact numbers here.

Complaint process

If you contact us to complain about a business or person you believe has broken consumer and/or competition law, we then consider your complaint according to our enforcement criteria.

Read more about our complaint process.

Your privacy

We understand you may be concerned about what we do with the information you provide. We take steps to protect your information and we do not contact the business involved while we assess your complaint.

If we do decide to investigate your complaint we will contact you and ask if you are happy for us to disclose your identity, and/or details about your complaint to the business.

As an Independent Crown Entity, the Commission is also subject to the Official Information Act and we sometimes get requests for copies of complaints from businesses, members of public and the media. When this happens we take care to redact and anonymise the complaint information to ensure your identity is protected.

Requesting confidentiality

You may feel that informing the Commission about possible wrong doing might put your position at risk. We value information from confidential informants and have a policy of protecting people's identity when requested. For example we may consider treating you as a confidential informant if you are an employee or business partner of the person or organisation you want to report.

If you are concerned about the need to protect your identity, please raise it with us when you make your report.

Reporting cartel conduct

Cartel conduct is hard to detect because it is often conducted in secret. Therefore, obtaining information from those involved in a cartel, or who are aware of one, is one important tool to help us detect cartels.

There are three ways you can report information about cartels to the Commission:

1. applying for leniency and immunity

2. making a general report

3. using our anonymous whistleblowing tool.

Read more about reporting cartel conduct.

Make a complaint about the Commerce Commission

If you have concerns about the way the Commission has handled an investigation or matter, you can make a complaint to us.

Read more about how to make a complaint about the Commission.

Who else can help?

There are other organisations that may be able to assist you in resolving your issue.

Consumer Protection

The Consumer Protection website has information on what to know and do before, during and after purchasing a product or service.

If you have any consumer questions or enquiries, you can phone the Consumer Protection helpline on 0508 426 678.

Getting your money back

Sometimes following an investigation we are able to achieve financial redress for affected consumers, however we are not a dispute resolution service. You may need to take your own action if you want your individual issue to be resolved, such as getting your money back.

Contact the Disputes Tribunal.

Financial products and services

The Financial Markets Authority (FMA) is the primary regulator of conduct in relation to financial products and services (excluding credit contracts).

For concerns about misleading or deceptive conduct in relation to financial products or services please contact the FMA.

The Banking Ombudsman can look into most types of banking-related complaints and provide information on banking related matters,

Legal advice

While your concerns are important to us and may help us stop illegal behaviour and prevent it from happening again, we are unable to provide legal advice to individuals. You may be able to obtain free legal advice from a community law centre or a lawyer.

Budget advice

To find a budget advice service near you, go to the National Building Financial Capability Charitable Trust website.

You can also contact MoneyTalks, a free, confidential and non-judgemental helpline on 0800 345 123 or visit

Understanding your rights and responsibilities

For free advice to know and understand your consumer rights and obligations and how to use this information to get the best outcomes contact a Citizens Advice Bureau near you.